Monday, March 9, 2009
Mr. Marley
Bob Marley is my favorite musical artist because of his deep lyrics and tone. I was listening to his album a few minutes ago and I noticed most people don't know what his music is about or just know him for his "ganja" smoking ways. He had fifteen studio albums including himself and the Wailers, four live albums and eleven anthology albums. I loved all of his albums including the anthologies. I would recommend all of his albums but the one you guys should listen too is "Legend" because it was a mix of all his major break through tracks. One of my favorite tracks from the album is "Redemption Song". The lyrics are very deep and sends a very important message. "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds." I did not know he got this line from a speech by Marcus Garvey, Jr. Another favorite of mine is "Waiting In Vain". That track is a more love song, something you can just vibe too. One track that is also my favorite is "Buffalo Soldier". A lot of people have different meaning to this track, It is a protest song about how African Americans fought for survival. Those are my three notable songs, but I can keep going. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on him, because every time I tell someone that he is my favorite artist. They always ask me "how can I like Bob Marley if I don't smoke weed?" I say that is being ignorant, go home sit down and listen to what he says. I feel he brings lyrics to the people making the world understand each other better, slowly but shortly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ugh, Saleem .. I love that you chose to use Bob Marley and his lyrics as a topic of your blog...possibly one of the more intelligently righteous and free musicians. You're absolutely right when you say his lyrics have more behind them than smoking weed. He sung of peace, love, heartbreak, freedom, and segregation. I believe strongly that if everyone took time to listen to his songs, the world would be a better place. There's so much love and peace to go around... just pop some B. Marley in your CD changer! =]
ReplyDelete"Who are you to judge me and the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and that I don't claim to be. So before you point your fingers, be sure you hands are clean" - Nesta Robert Marley
"My feet is my only carriage, so I've got to push on through" - Marley
-Holllaaaa
This is a great blog. I really appreciate how you included some of his lyrics, and Liridona's feedback is an awesome reflection of your posting.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 4/4