Monday, March 30, 2009

"if you got a racist mind you'll be aight!"

I can come up with a lot of my favorite movies but one on my list is "Crash". I have the plot summary for those who did not see this film yet and the rating.

"The film depicts several characters living in Los Angeles, California during a 36-hour period and brings them together through car collisions, shootings, and carjacking. Through these characters' interactions, the film seeks to depict and examine not only racial tension, but also the distance between strangers in general." Also wikipedia said "Crash was nominated for six awards in the 78th Academy Awards (2005), and won three of them, including a win for Best Picture. It was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards: one for Best Supporting Actor (Matt Dillon) and the other for Best Screenplay (Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_(2004_film)

8.1/10(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/)

I love this movie so much because all the character's Intertwine with each other. The ending caught me off guard. The Metaphor behind it is pretty cool and I had a connection with the stereotypes and prejudice that was going on through out the movie. I live in a neighborhood of Coney Island. As some might know it is consider to be the ghetto and a violent neighborhood. To me it is home. I don't think it is a bad place, there is a lot that goes on here that put the thought of fear into people. I am writing this because someone said to me the other day that the leading cause of this is because of minorities and blacks sticking together to cause the crimes. I am going against this because the person made it seemed like we friends with criminals and we want this. We are afraid too; I hear a gun shot, I run. No one wants to live in violence. It is coming from all racists, ethnic backgrounds and genders. What amazes me the most is that Coney Island holds history and it being one of the most popular tourist attraction. Maybe the tourist doesn't see past the rides and Nathans or they feel safe in a different part of Coney Island. My words will never do justice, it will be a never ending cycle that keeps going on. I have no personal definition for racism or stereotypes, only a text book definition. I believe people use racism to feel superior against other backgrounds or not knowing facts about the other culture. I am not saying Coney Island is a perfect neighborhood or the best but it isn't the worst. Don't blame us we do not have enough law enforcement around and if it is they are corrupted. I have an article on a shooting that recently had happen, just read the comments on the article or watch the video to see why Coney Island is portrayed to be this way.

(http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?id=6722920&section=news/local)

2 comments:

  1. You are completely right Saleem. Coney Island is made out to seem like a dangerous place. I also heard that before, that the reason why is because of all the projects that make people stick together and since people are all living together it is easier for people to be influenced. The reason why the projects are "bad" is because the kids see the adults with guns and selling drugs on the corner so thats what they grow up seeing. As they are becoming older they are still in that environment and never get out. That is what I have heard, to some extent it might be true.

    I do agree with you on the fact that you don't choose to live there, you are brought there because of your family. People do stereotype and assume many things. I have been to the "bad" parts of Coney Island in the projects. Everyone is really friendly and no one is on the corner waiting to steal your money or rape you. It might be true that it does happen, but people like to make things out to look a lot worse than what it really is.


    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a soft spot in my heart for Coney Island as well. I like the passion behind this post, and the information provided.

    Grade: 4/4

    ReplyDelete